My Dad and I are the only ones in our family that like eggnog, so I guess that’s why I have only been exposed to the stuff you buy in a carton. Now, don’t get me wrong, the stuff in the carton is good, but I was curious to know what homemade eggnog tasted like. So I looked up some recipes, found ones that were fairly simple to make, tweaked just a tad, and BAM! Homemade eggnog is good great fabulous OUTSTANDING!
Our ladies have finally started laying eggs again, so I thank them for their part in this recipe.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together.
- In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine the milk, cream, and nutmeg. Stirring often, bring the mixture to a simmer. Do not boil.
- Mix a big spoonful of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Repeat a couple more times to temper the eggs.
- Once tempered, pour the egg mixture into the milk mixture that is left in the saucepan.
- Continually whisk for a few minutes, heating through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the eggnog into a covered container and refrigerate until chilled. It will thicken as it cools.
- Serve with a sprinkling of nutmeg on top, if desired.