The Wisconsin Mother Earth News Fair returns to West Bend, Wisconsin July 09-10, 2016. For tickets and more information, click here.
I’ve had the pleasure of attending a few Mother Earth News Fairs throughout the country. They are hands down one of the best ways and places where you can quickly learn from others, pick up new skills, explore new areas of homesteading, and connect with other like-minded people. Most fairs are very well attended each year and I can understand why. They are fantastic! Here are a few of my tips to help you make the most of your day or weekend no matter which fair you attend.
1. Check out the fair website to get a lay of the land and the schedule. With so many terrific presentations there is something for everyone. Consider planning your day or selecting what would highlight your day ahead of time.
2. Pick a new interest that you know nothing about and attend a presentation. For me, this past time it was cheese making! I had no idea how easy it was to make your own. Attending the lecture helped me to realize that I can do it in my home kitchen.
3. Bring the kids! The fair is for everyone of all ages. It is stroller friendly and handicapped accessible. There are also activities just for the kids throughout the day. Learn how to milk a goat or do a fun craft!
4. Wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather. The fair goes on rain or shine and you will find yourself walking and exploring the fair outdoors.
5. Bring a canvas tote bag from home. This will help you easily tote home brochures, informational pamphlets, and purchases from the day.
6. Get there early. You will find the day quickly speeding away. In fact, I would recommend getting a weekend or VIP pass. They are a great value and allow you to truly get the full fair experience.
7. Split up if there are two of you and two presentations that you both would like to attend. You can compare notes later.
8. Take in the local flavor by sampling the fair food from local vendors serving up delicious local ingredients.
9. Get lost in the bookstore. Give yourself a couple of hours to dive in and emerge from the bookstore with your arms loaded. The bookstore is absolutely amazing and definitely worth a trip to the fair alone.
10. Get up close and personal with the presenters. They will happily entertain your questions, take photos with you, and even sign a copy of their books for you. They are friendly and excited to meet you!
11. Check out all the vendors. Many of them are presenting as well and offer you a wonderful resource and even hand holding to help you explore new avenues of homesteading, animal husbandry, living off the land, growing your own food, exploring your spirituality and improving your health.
12. Talk to the staff and provide feedback. They are always eager to improve the fair and are striving to give you and your family an amazing fair experience.