|Regularly cleaning and inspecting the coop and nesting boxes is key.|
There are three types of fleas that can affect chickens including the European Chicken Flea, the Western Chicken Flea and the Sticktight Flea.
European Chicken fleas can affect humans, pets and other birds if their population grow large enough.
The type(s) of fleas that can affect your flock directly depends on where you live.
Fleas can cause anemia, decreased egg production, irritability, malaise and restlessness.
Chickens fleas are less common than mites and poultry lice.
Fleas thrive during summer months.
|Sticktight fleas around the eye|
One of the best ways of preventing fleas is keeping a clean and tidy chicken coop.
If you discover fleas, the chickens and the coop will need to be treated on the same day. A warm sunny day is best. Set aside plenty of time so that you are not rushed.
Try keeping fleas away by adding a few cloves of garlic to their water supply, using food grade diatomaceous earth in the coop and planting fresh herbs that deter fleas around the chicken coop and run, such as mint.
There are both natural and chemical techniques to treat and prevent flea infestations.
If you do develop a flea problem, the sooner you act the better. The adult fleas that you see only represents 5% of your flea population. The other 95% exists in egg and larvae form.
|Some fleas thrive in the coop litter|
When treating your coop and flock for fleas it is often necessary to repeat the process again 10 to 14 days apart.
Often prevention and treatment for poultry pests including ticks, fleas, mites and lice are identical or overlap.
Photo Credit: Tilly’s Nest unless otherwise stated. All photos are copyrighted.