A few weeks ago, I was browsing through the local newspaper and happened upon the type of story that sends a chill down a chicken keeper’s spine. A family in a neighboring town had endured an unthinkable tragedy. Their newly built coop had burned down to the ground, killing all 38 of the young birds housed inside. A heat lamp was to blame.
We spent those first few weeks in awe of the chicks. We couldn’t get enough of watching them as they wandered around the brooder. I couldn’t get comfortable with the heat lamp we were using the keep the brooder warm for our young charges.
I can’t imagine myself ever using a heat lamp for brooding again. I won’t miss the constant adjustments or worrying that the lamp bulb might burn out in the middle of a cold New England night. I also won’t miss worrying about the fire risk residing in the brooder with the baby chicks. I don’t like to make proclamations about always and never, but I will always use our Brinsea EcoGlow when brooding a group of chicks and never return to the use of a heat lamp.