Chicken Salad is a summer favourite. Spice yours up with some curry powder and a little yogurt.
Our editor, Carla Tilghman, enjoys making this light curry chicken salad for the next day’s lunch. Letting the salad rest in the fridge overnight allows all the flavours to meld nicely.
Curry Chicken Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes (if chicken is cooked ahead of time).
- 1/2 cup Greek-style plain yogurt
- 1 tsp sweet curry powder *
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh finely ground black or white pepper
- 9 ounces (or 2 cups) bite-sized chunks of cooked chicken **
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, curry powder, salt and pepper until smooth and the consistency of buttermilk.
- Ideally, you want to refrigerate the yogurt mixture for at least an hour to let the curry powder soak up moisture from the yogurt and allow the flavor to bloom.
- Add chicken chunks, red pepper and onion. Gently stir until the chicken is well-coated.
You can enjoy this chicken curry salad with greens or in pita bread.
* If you would like to make your own sweet curry powder:
- 1 tsp coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp finely ground black or white pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
You can also add a pinch of cayenne pepper for extra kick.
** I like to use both white and dark chicken meat. The dark meat may have a few more calories, but it is higher in iron and zinc and has more omega-3 fatty acids. The dark meat is also richer in vitamins A, K, B6, B12 and niacin. Yum!