Imagine my delight, when I discovered that chickens like to eat ticks. An excellent reason (besides the eggs and companionship) to forever have a flock in your backyard. Right?
- For me, I plan to continue using basic bio-hazard precautions. I use gloves when working with chicken wounds, just as I would with working on a human wound.
- If I need to cull a bird, gloves are necessary equipment.
- We don’t eat any raw eggs in our house (not even for eggnog) and all eggs that we eat are fully cooked.
- Poop is quickly picked up and disposed of.
- Soap and water after handling the chickens is mandatory.
It’s simply not worth it.