If you ask 5 people for their method to hard boiled eggs, you will get 5 different methods.
I am going to share with you my Mom’s tried and true way of making hard boiled eggs.
It is the only way that I have ever known and it has yet to fail – farm fresh or store bought eggs.
This process works for a few eggs or as many as you can get in a large pot.
Place your eggs in a pot. Do not over crowd.
Put enough cold water in the pot to cover the eggs by about 2 inches.
Place on high heat and bring water to a boil.
Once the water begins to boil, set the timer for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn heat off and remove the pot.
Drain hot water.
Run cold water over eggs.
Drain warm water off eggs.
Repeat this process until the eggs are cool to touch and the water left on the eggs is cool, not warm.
I immediately peel my eggs, so I give them a shake in the pot, slightly cracking the shells.
Remove one egg at a time from pot of cool water.
Tap egg on counter to slightly crack the shell.
Gently peel the shell.
Run cold water on the egg as needed during and after the peeling process.
I store my peeled, hard boiled eggs in a covered bowl in the refrigerator.
Hard boiled eggs make a great breakfast or snack on their own and of course can be the star in many recipes including deviled eggs and egg salad.
Some Hard boiled facts:
* Adding hard boiled eggs to your diet adds good fats to your body, which can help to keep your heart healthy.
– Eating hard boiled eggs can help to stabilize blood cholesterol levels and help to lower your risk of heart disease.
– These fats also help to regulate insulin in your blood, keeping your blood sugar within a healthy range.
* Hard boiled eggs are naturally high in protein, which helps build muscle mass.
– One hard boiled egg provides more than 6 grams of protein.
* Hard boiled eggs provide Vitamin D, which helps to keep your bones and teeth strong.
* One hard boiled egg has only 80 calories. If you eat only the egg white, it cuts the calories in half.
Hard boiled eggs…one more reason to love our chickens!