May is here (almost gone, actually) and that means lots of kids graduating and soon heading out on their own! YES? NO? Maybe? Eventually…? Who has NOT thought about what they’re going to do after their human babies are grown up and gone? One possibility would be relining those nests with chicken feathers (I can do corny)! Backyard chicken keeping is getting more and more common-place. If you or any of your friends are about to become empty nesters here is another humorous but true list of reasons to start your flock!
|Feathers, glorious feathers!|
|What’s not to love about that face?|
GREAT REASONS FOR EMPTY NESTERS TO RAISE BACKYARD CHICKENS:
- You don’t have to tell the chickens when it’s bedtime or even to GO to bed. They’re on their roosts before your HAPPY HOUR even starts!
- Same thing with getting up in morning, they’re up and ready to go before you.
- They will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your lukewarm, lumpy oatmeal.
|What IS that orange stuff in our oatmeal?|
- You’ll never hear them say ‘Didn’t we have that for dinner last night‘!
- They will lovingly HELP you with the tilling, weeding and bug removal in your garden – they are great little gardeners.
|Can we help? Please, please, please!|
- Your compost pile will be turned regularly with great perfection and care.
- They could care less what YOU look like at 5:30 in the morning.
- They actually WANT to eat healthy – fresh fruits and vegetables
- They will never whine for you to drive them to soccer practice, movies or the mall.
- They won’t be insulted at all if you offer them those slightly dried out, left-over taco shells!
- If there IS a job you think they’re not quite up to they won’t be offended if you only let them follow you around and supervise your work. They will even help without cleanup when you’re finished!
- AND BEST OF ALL…they will GIVE you eggs for breakfast instead of asking WHAT’S for breakfast.
|Eggs, glorious eggs!
Need more convincing?